Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Camera Lens

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Camera Lens

Description:
This is considered the standard lens for use with Canon SLR cameras

Customer Review:
For what you pay the 50mm 1.8 is pretty hard to beat for solid portrait and low light work.

Customer Review:
For some odd reason everyone thinks you "must" own this lens simply because it is so inexpensive compared to other lenses. I tried it, and was not happy at all. Indoors, it never seemed to want to auto-focus. And switching to manual is no fun because the manual focus ring is too small and seems almost flimsy/sloppy to use. The image quality was mediocre, at best. I found that I rarely used this lens for much of anything. I only used it a handful of times to play with to see what it could do, but never found it to be a must-have lens. Sure the bokeh of an f1.8 is neat, but spend an extra couple hundred on a better quality 50mm if you must have one.

Customer Review:
A prime lens for under $90.00 that takes great pictures? That is indeed what you get. While the plastic build quality seems a little weak, the quality of the pictures you get from this lens are as sharp as they come. If you are using a kit zoom lens with your Canon SLR, you owe it to yourself to try one of these to see just how well your camera can perform. You won't regret it, and at this price, if it breaks, it's easy to replace. Highly recommended for those high-school camera jockeys shooting at high-school gym events and of course for portraiture. Now, if only I can find a 18mm F1.8 at $100 or under!


Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED IF AF-S DX VR Zoom Nikkor Lens

Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED IF AF-S DX VR Zoom Nikkor Lens

Description:
55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED AF-S VR DX Zoom-Nikkor lens with 35mm equivalent of 82-300mm * Vibration Reduction allows in-focus shots with longer exposure times (up to three shutter speeds slower) * Silent Wave Motor for fast, quiet focusing * ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass lens element for superior optical performance * attachment/filter size: 52mm *

Customer Review:
This lens is certainly cheap. But cheap applies to both the price and the product, not in the sense that it's a particularly good deal. The pictures, provided you are shooting within its relatively pedestrian envelope of capabilities, are fine. The real killer is the handling and build. The focus ring is terrible, and MF/AF switching is a pain. Minimum focus distance is also not particularly good. Overall, I think the better all-around usefulness of the 18-200 VR will outweigh its slightly more compromised optics (given that neither of these lenses are amazing performers in the first place), so I'm returning this for the 18-200.

Customer Review:
Really appreciate the light weight of this lens. At first not sure of the stabalization feature working, but then the familiar knock sound when system was locking on. Haven't taken many pictures so far with the lens but what I have, seems to be sharp and color right on. With carrying various pieces of equipment on a photo shoot the weight is a big plus.

Customer Review:
i love this lens! i'm just starting out but it's great fun to use. takes very clear pictures. the VR allows me to shoot at lower shutter speeds with low light and still avoid getting blurry pictures. works great with my D40!


Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED-IF AF-S VR DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens

Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED-IF AF-S VR DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens

Description:
f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX wide-angle to telephoto zoom lens with 35mm equivalent of 27-300mm * Vibration Reduction (VR II) allows in-focus shots with longer exposure times (up to four stops slower shutter speed) * contains two ED (extra-low dispersion) and three asperical lens elements for high resolution and contrast * Silent Wave Motor for fast, quiet focusing * compatible with Nikon DX format digital SLR cameras including the D80 and D200 * minimum focus distance: 19.2 inches * lens is 3-13/16" long, 3" in diameter *

Customer Review:
I like the range it offers: flexible and convenient to use one lense in the field. It's not as sharp as I expected, plus it extends out when zooming in, increasing the likelihood of dust getting inside.

Customer Review:
pros
huge zoom, good quality, very quick, and accuracy auto focus, small astigmatism
cons
little dark in 200mm, visible vignetting

in my opinion it is the best choice for d40.
quality is good outside while there is big sun, and there was surprise for me with night panorama pictures. VR is perfect between 18- 80 mm

Customer Review:
I bought the 18-200 lens along with a D300 because of all the excellent reviews here and in other places. I fully expected this very useful lens to be "the" one lens answer for all photographic needs - It really isn't.

The zooming range is phenomenal - to have one lens that will meet the demands of about 95% of all picture taking opportunities - and in a small, lightweight package is truly unbelievable.

My problem is image quality. I am used to sharp, crisp images - having used many pro-grade lenses from Canon, Leica, Olympus and others, I guess that I am used to being able to look closely at my pictures and see well defined lines, borders etc. The 18-200 just doesn't deliver - particularly at the edges of the frame.

I actually conducted tests, not very scientific tests, mind you, but I just went out and took pictures - all at the same time - with three different lenses. The 18-200 Nikon, a 17-55 f2.8 Nikon, both on the D300, and the 12-60 Olympus Zuiko lens on an Olympus E-3.

The differences were dramatic. Both the 17-55 Nikon and 12-60 Olympus were beautifully sharp and crisp all across the frame - the 18-200 Nikon was not. With the 18-200, tree branches at edge of the frame were fuzzy and ill defined. In pictures of a "brick wall" on the side of my house the 18-200 just didn't produce the same results as the other two. I took about a hundred pictures with each lens. Different subjects, some mounted on a tripod, some hand-held, Both the Olympus and the 18-200 Nikon had the benefit of image stabilization, the 17-55 did not. I turned the stabilization off when I used the tripod. I did my very best to duplicate exposure and framing on all the images.

In picture after picture, the two "good" lenses just did a noticeably better job. I do mean noticeably - I inspected all pictures in Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop CS-3. I zoomed in on various portions of each picture and the results were consistent. Even with sharpening in Photoshop, the 18-200 never reached the level that was met by the other two lenses without sharpening.

Perhaps I got a bad copy of the 18-200. At this point, I don't know. Maybe I'll try another one. I just know that the one I got just isn't as sharp as the two lenses I compared it with and just isn't "good enough" for my picture taking needs.

I love the focal range of the 18-200 but it just doesn't answer my particular need for sharp images.


Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Lens for Canon SLR Cameras

Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Lens for Canon SLR Cameras

Description:
Bring small things into full-sized view with the Canon EF 100mm macro USM lens. Macro lenses can uncover detail that would be impossible to detect by the eye and give new perspective to extremely minute subjects such as insects or the petals of a small flower, and this lens is no exception. The lens offers such features as a three-group floating system for exceptional close-up performance; a secondary diaphragm that blocks stray light at f/2.8, which increases contrast when shooting wide open; a ultra-sonic monitor (USM) that provides outstanding autofocusing speed at all focusing distances; a wide manual focusing ring with smooth action; and full-time manual focus even in AF mode. The first lens in its class to feature inner focusing, the lens carries a one-year warranty.

  • Focal length: 100mm
  • Maximum aperture: 1:2.8
  • Lens construction: 12 elements in 8 groups
  • Diagonal angle of view: 24 degrees
  • Focus adjustment: Inner focusing system with USM
  • Closest focusing distance: 1 foot (film plane to subject)
  • Filter size: 58mm
  • Dimensions: 3.1 inches in diameter, 4.7 inches long
  • Weight: 21.1 ounces


Customer Review:
this lens is fantastic. It is flexible, durable, and most of all, not wicked expensive for what you get. OK, so I found a better deal and got one for about $400 even, but if i knew the quality was this damn high, i would've paid $600 at circuit city in a heartbeat. Its kinda heavy and long, but i'm used to my Sigma 18-200mm zoom lens which is wider and heavier. The pictures ive taken are amazing. Only thing is, for some reason, with this lens your camera will try to make the image brighter by holding open the shutter longer at spots with normal light for other lenses. Also, there is a switch for a distance limiter, yet it doesn't do anything different for me. Supposedly its better for taking pictures of things that are farther away. Did I mention that its great for a medium telephoto lens too? plus it only has a focus ring.

Customer Review:
Bought this fantastic lense a few days ago. The lense arrived on time and in good condition. This lense is very fast, yes, you have to believe me! Despite without IS, I still manage to get extremely sharp images. This lense is also fairly priced despite it's reputation and performance. A little heavy though, anyhow not really a big issue for me. You've got to try it. It truely deserves a red ring!

Customer Review:
Sharp, really sharp, great images with loads of detail. The focusing ring is just slightly loose, like the gears could mesh a bit tighter, but it doesn't hinder precise focusing.


Canon EF 50mm f1.4 USM Medium Telephoto Lens for Canon SLR Cameras

Canon EF 50mm f1.4 USM Medium Telephoto Lens for Canon SLR Cameras

Description:
When accuracy matters, the Canon EF 50mm standard lens steps to the plate. The lens offers two high-refraction lens elements and new Gaussian optics, helping eliminate astigmatism and suppress astigmatic differences. As a result, the lens provides an image that's extremely close to how your eye perceives a subject, making it excellent for portraits and images that require a natural depth of field. The lens even delivers crisp images with little flare at the maximum aperture. Compact and affordable, the EF 50mm is the only lens in the EF system to offer the extra-small Micro USM while still providing full-time manual focusing. As with all Canon lenses, the EF 50mm carries a one-year warranty.

  • Focal length: 50mm
  • Maximum aperture: 1:1.4
  • Lens construction: 7 elements in 6 groups
  • Diagonal angle of view: 46 degrees
  • Focus adjustment: Overall linear extension system with USM
  • Closest focusing distance: 1.5 feet
  • Filter size: 58mm
  • Dimensions: 2.9 inches in diameter, 2 inches long
  • Weight: 10.2 ounces


Customer Review:
I've been using this lens almost exclusively for about a month now, and love it to death. For the stuff I like to shoot, this lens is perfect. Because of the very wide aperture, you can get amazing portraits with very shallow depth of field, and can also take shots in low light environments without destroying natural light with a flash.

I really have no complaints. It's very well-built, focuses quickly, and takes amazing pictures. Easily the best lens purchase I've made yet.

Customer Review:
I had just used the kit lens that came with my dSLR and I was often frustrated by either having blurry shots or having to use the harsh flash. I wish I would have had this before the birth of my first son so I could have gotten non-blurry delivery room photos. I won't make that mistake for our second child!

I bought this lens about 9 months ago and it hasn't left my camera since. It's fixed focus, so you've got to do some moving around to get the right shot ("zoom with your feet!!!"), but once you're in position, you *will* get the right shot. The lens is super fast so you can capture amazing action outside or take some great low light shots indoors. I don't think I've used the flash more than a dozen times in the thousands of photos I've taken since I bought it.

If you've got a dSLR, you have to get this lens or at least the f/1.8. Our fancy cameras are just being wasted with the f/3.5 lenses Canon includes in the kits.

Customer Review:
the latitude that the 1.4 aperture gives is absolutely top-notch. Obviously, the L-lens would be that much faster but considering the cost differential, Canon's 50mm 1.4 prime lens is a must-have for anyone wanting to take photography seriously.

And for those of you walking around with a 24-70 or other zoom lens - you'll really love the weight difference!

Despite the fixed focal length, this could become your primary lens very quickly. And there is an added benefit - it will force you to get closer to your subjects. If you've been using your longer zooms to get away from getting up close and personal, you'll see an immediate improvement to your photos, particularly your portraits!


Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens for Canon EOS SLR Cameras

Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens for Canon EOS SLR Cameras

Description:
EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM telephoto zoom lens * Image Stabilization allows in-focus shots with longer exposure times (up to three stops slower shutter speed) * Micro Ultrasonic Motor for fast autofocus * compatible with all Canon EOS SLR cameras * minimum focus distance: 4.9 feet * lens is 5-13/16" long, 3" in diameter *

Customer Review:
I recently used this lens on an impromptu nature walk and was pleasantly surprised at how much the IS helped, especially at the 200-300mm range. I was able to get some really good long shots--all hand-held--on a relatively low contrast overcast day. Perhaps it was what I was shooting (relatively still nature, like birds) but I didn't experience any problems that others may have noticed with focus speed or visual quality issues. I will say this is probably not the lens to use for fast moving sports or even everyday walk-around photos. For me, telephotos (200mm+) are fairly specialized (I prefer street photography). In most cases I would use my 28-135mm and crop. I usually use this lens for very specific purposes.

Customer Review:
I just received my Canon 70-300mm USM/IS a couple of weeks ago, and I finally got the chance this week end to go out and try it. I was kind of scared after reading the other reviews that I would have issues with the quality of the images at full zoom. Well, let me tell you something, WHAT A GREAT LENS !

I was able to take EXCELLENT pictures of my fiancee at a full 300mm settings. After reviewing the pictures on my computer, I was amazed at the details. You can clearly see the smalled strands of hair in the wind. Absolutely amazing.

I also took pictures of my dog running on the beach at full 300mm. Some people told me that the focus was kind of slow and I would have issue. It's a little bit slower I agree, but I took great shots of a moving subject. I do not know how good and fast would be the focus in another kind of day (not sunny, low light...) but my first experience with it was great.

If you go and look at the customer images link, you will find the one I uploaded (under Simon Templar) and you'll see what I am talking about.

The IS is also a great feature. No need to walk with a monopod anymore.

Gotta love it !

Customer Review:
I have shot with the 200L (don't own one) that people are comparing this to. The lenses are different, and suit different needs. This lens was what I purchased because I wanted a longer telephoto with IS, instead of the shorter, higher quality non-IS lens. The thing that most photography reviews often don't take into consideration when talking up one lens over another is price (I'm not picking on any reviewer on this, I'm just saying from experience reading many reviews all over). To get a theoretical 70-300mm IS USM in an L series, you would pay a TON more than the 200L. The 200L is obviously shorter and higher quality than the 70-300ISUSM. If you want to know about the quality and performance of the 70-300mm IS USM, my opinion is that its a strong build with excellent IS. I'm totally happy with mine, and have taken a few excellent shots at 300mm that turned out great. I use it in fairly harsh temperatures outdoors. For the price, you won't find a lens even close that does the same job better. If you're deciding on what lens to buy, I can't help ya. But if you're wondering about THIS lens, I say its great.


Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR Zoom Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras

Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR Zoom Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras

Description:
70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor lens (equivalent to 105-450mm on a 35mm SLR) * Vibration Reduction (VR II) allows in-focus shots with longer exposure times (up to four shutter speeds slower) * contains two ED (extra-low dispersion) lens elements for high resolution and contrast * Silent Wave Motor for fast, quiet focusing * compatible with Nikon film SLR and DX format digital SLR cameras * minimum focus distance: 4.9 feet *

Customer Review:
We added to our collection of Nikkor lenses and the 70-300mm, this is our first with the VR feature. Having been shooting pictures in a fairly serious manor for the last 45 years, mostly sports and outdoor wildlife. I have seen a lot of equipment and changes to the Industry. In my opinion, this is the best lens I have used. It is almost impossible to hand hold a long lens and get any degree of proper clarity but the VR feature helps greatly.

Customer Review:
I've had this for a couple of months now and I have liked the results so far. Been doing a lot of indoor sports photography (lacrosse and swimming) and once I got used to the limitations of the lens (small aperture) I am getting very good results for a lens in this price range. Autofocus is fast and pictures are sharp. Looking forward to outdoor sports this summer!

Customer Review:
I've had this lens for several weeks now. I love it. I enjoy nature and travel photography and this lens gets me where I want to go without disturbing my subject. The lens works great with my Nikon D40x. While a longer lens would be even better, the price of this flexible beauty makes it a great value. I would not buy another lens with out the vibration reduction feature. This lens has produced some very clear shots, taken in a hurry, without the use of a tripod or other stabilization device. The weight allows for easy transport into the woods. I recommend it highly.


Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM Telephoto Zoom Lens for Canon SLR Cameras

Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM Telephoto Zoom Lens for Canon SLR Cameras

Description:
This compact and lightweight EF 75-300mm telephoto zoom lens is ideal for shooting sports, portraits, and wildlife. The lens is distinguished by a newly developed micro ultra-sonic monitor (USM) that makes autofocusing quicker and quieter, along with an improved zoom mechanism that includes a silver ring on the front for a luxurious touch. The micro USM makes this version of the lens particularly suitable for applications that require a fast autofocus, such as sporting events or wildlife shoots. Best of all, the USM version shares many of the same features that makes the non-USM lens so popular, such as a compact size, a close focusing range, and accessory compatibility. As with all Canon lenses, this unit carries a one-year warranty.

  • Focal length: 75-300mm
  • Maximum aperture: 1:4.5-5.6
  • Lens construction: 13 elements in 9 groups
  • Diagonal angle of view: 32 degrees (at 11 feet) to 8 degrees (at 15 feet)
  • Focus adjustment: Front group rotating extension system with USM
  • Closest focusing distance: 4.9 feet
  • Zoom system: Rotating type
  • Filter size: 58mm
  • Dimensions: 2.8 inches in diameter, 4.8 inches long
  • Weight: 16.8 ounces


Customer Review:
I would have preferred a higher end lens but for the price is can't be beat. For shooting outdoors and in bright light this lens is very good. I would like a little better low light performance but for that I would need a lens that cost more than double this one. I shoot my nephews playing flag football and the shots I got from the side lines were great. Unfortunately at night they were not so great. Guess I will have to save my dollars for those more expensive lens. If you have the money for a Canon L lens get it. If not, this will do in a pinch.

Customer Review:
This has been a fun lens to play with! I have been able to use this lens just fine without a tripod and still get great pics! I don't know much about the logistics of this lens but I have had a great expierence with it and am glad I bought it!

Customer Review:
This lens was everything I was expecting and more. For my price range and photography level, I couldn't ask for more. The zoom worked quite well and is even better than the lens I had for my old 35mm. Auto-focus takes about a second longer than my standard lens, but speed is not an issue for most of the things I photograph. Great purchase for a novice photographer looking to get that picture from a little further away.


Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras

Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras

Description:
10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM lens allows enjoyment of super wide-angle photography and it is a very powerful tool for indoor shooting and landscape photography with digital SLR cameras. Wide angle of view (102.4 degrees at 10mm and 63.8 degrees at 20mm) offers the photographer greater freedom of expression. 3 Special Low Dispersion (SLD) glass elements are employed for effective compensation of color aberration, which is a common problem with super-wide angle lenses. One piece of glass mold and two hybrid aspherical lenses, offer excellent correction for distortion, as well as all types of aberration. This lens is equipped with an inner focusing system, and the models which are equipped with HSM system provide quiet, high speed autofocus shooting and also offer full time manual focusing. It has a minimum focusing distance of 24cm at all focal lengths. The non-rotating lens barrel perfectly suits the petal shaped lens hood. A circular polarizing filter can also be used conveniently. Angle of View - 102.4 - 63.8 degrees 6 Diaphragm Blades Minimum Aperture F22 Minimum Focusing Distance - 24cm/9.4 inches Maximum Magnification - 1 - 6.7 Filter Size - Diameter 77mmLens Hood Petal Hood Dimensions - Diameter 83.5mm x Length 81mm, 3.3 x 3.2 inches Weight - 470 gram (16.6 ounces)

Customer Review:
This lens is very good. Wide Angle is putting it nicely. The Construction of the lens is superb and I am happy not to have wasted the money on the Canon 10-22mm for 200 more dollars.

Customer Review:
Received this recently and really like it! Great quality and fast and quiet! Works perfectly with my Canon Digital Rebel XT.

Customer Review:
Really nice Lens, I am testing yet, but I already could take really nice pictures with it. I recommend.


Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS SLR Lens

Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS SLR Lens

Description:
Canon's latest optical Image Stabilizer (IS) technology provides up to 4-stop compensation for image blur caused by camera shake and slow shutter speeds. Photographers normally shooting handheld at 1/250 sec can switch on IS to obtain a similarly steady and blur-free result with a shutter speed of just 1/15 second. The inclusion of automatic panning detection makes it easier for photographers to track wildlife and other moving subjects. To ensure consistently accurate results at all zoom positions, the IS system within each lens has been optimised for that lens' specific focal length range. Since the IS system is based within the lens, the results are visible through the viewfinder when framing the image.

Customer Review:
I just bought a Canon Rebel XTi and it comes with an 18-55mm lens. I ordered the 18-55mm IS at the same time. The non-IS lens is still in the box. I also own an older 75-300mm USM IS lens and after seeing what "Image Stabilization" can do, I am sold. IS has saved me a lot of film because I no longer had to toss out blurred images taken with a long lens. Now that I shoot digital I save time deleting blurred images. The IS lens looks almost identical to it's non-IS sibling but the end results are that IS makes this a better lens.

Customer Review:
I bought this lens to replace the kit lens that came with my Rebel XTi and I am thoroughly impressed by its performance. The kit lens simply pales in comparison. The image stabilizer does its job very well, and the image quality is excellent.

There are many people and reviewers who compare this lens unfavorably with Canon's acclaimed L-Series lenses. I think those folks are way too picky - one can't expect a $200 lens to perform as well as a $1,000 lens. That's like comparing a little Honda Civic to perform as well as BMW M3. Not gonna happen, but for the price the Civic is an excellent little car. Likewise, this lens is a worthwhile investment towards getting excellent pictures. Pay no heed to the people who rate this lens poorly because it doesn't zoom as far (you should have bought a longer lens) or those who claim its build quality is not as solid (you should have spent a lot more money).

I've read the tech reviews containing information about vignetting, barrel distortion, bokeh, etc. The reality is, I am not a professional photographer (i.e., I don't put food on my family's table by taking pictures) so those things don't matter so much. All I care about is that the pictures come out crisp and the colors accurate. I take pics of my wife and baby, often in low light conditions without a flash. I shoot in JPEG high compression to save disk space and to make it easier to email the photos to our parents and extended family. If this is what you'll be doing, then buy this lens right away; you won't be disappointed.

Perhaps someday I will want to buy a camera with a longer zoom (which is why I got a DSLR camera) or I'll buy a faster computer so I can switch to shooting in RAW (thus necessitating an L series lens). Until then, I expect this lens will be on my XTi for a long, long time.

Customer Review:
I just concluded my US vacation. Before my trip, I decided to buy this lens from Amazon and use it as an all-around lens for the trip. I reckoned that my 24-70L would be too heavy and couldn't fit my 30D my semi-leather case with it. So, I used this lens thoughout my whole trip.

When I reviewed my shots in my laptop, I couldn't find any fault with it. When I compared its pictures with the the shots from my 24-70L, I could barely notice the difference. Its just as tack sharp except in low light conditions where you will notice a slight advantage of the 24-70L.
Color comes out less saturated than the L lens though although very acceptable. Build quality is comparable with other non L lens. IS is superb.

To me, this is the best value for money among lenses that Canon has in its current line up. I will bet good money that this lens will out perform other L and non-L lenses 3x to 5X its price.

A must have for Canonians.